Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Madrid. Day 2.

¡Hola a todos! 

Life in Madrid has been good to me the last couple days. Last night we took an unnecessarily long walk around Madrid to find the BEST tapas place. Unfortunately, we only found an overpriced restaurant with small portions. Fortunately, it had some YUMMY sangria. We all split some carafes and had a good time. : )
Today, we woke up and had the best continental breakfast I’ve ever had. This ain’t your Motel 6 here in Madrid. They hooked us up with some fresh-squeezed OJ, a plethora of fruits, and some yummy Spanish doughnuts. 
After our breakfast of champions, we headed to the Prado Museum to check out some fabulous art. We saw lots of Goya’s work, including El tres de mayo de 1808 en Madrid and Diego Valázquez’s Las meninas o La familia Felipe IV. It was a wonderful experience! 
After our visit we headed to El Placio Real (The Royal Palace) which was built by King Enrique III and took 21 years to construct. It was absolutely beautiful! We only saw about 10% because it is extremely ginormous. These Spaniards live it up in style!
After this visit, we had the whole afternoon to explore on our own. We went with some friends to find some lunch and ended up at an adorable bar/restaurant back in the winding, narrow roads. 
After lunch we journeyed to Plaza Mayor. Plaza Mayor is a large area with a lot of shops. It was a bit touristy, we all got our picture taken with an overweight Spiderman. Oh joy. I was surprised at our navigation skills today. We didn’t get lost once and made it to all the destinations we wanted to see. I can’t believe we ventured around Madrid on our own! Personal accomplishment. Yes!
We’re heading to Toledo tomorrow morning at 8:30am. It’s about an hour away from Madrid. We will spend one night there and head to Sevilla on Thursday morning. It’s about a 7 hour ride to Sevilla on bus. Oh boy. Wish me luck. 
Love you all!
Adios 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kristina,

    I love your updates and hearing all about your excitingness! :) Are you taking lots of pictures? I hope so! Your first couple days in Madrid sound wonderful. I am happy you got there safely. I am praying for you always my dear. My life is the same. There's a huge snow storm approaching. Oh boy. I am already exhausted from the week so far. I love you!

    ReplyDelete