Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happenings

Hi friends!

Sorry I haven't been frequenting my bloggy blog, but I've been in a "take it all in" mood lately. Or maybe I've just been lazy and slacking at my documentary skills. Either way, sorry I haven't been here lately!

Recap on what's been going on:

March 24-26 was Barcelona
We left EARLY (5:30ish) on Thursday morning to get to our 8:30am flight that was suppose to be our 8:30pm flight, but because I can't operate military time, it was in the AM. Whoops. Looking back I'm glad make that mistake because we had more time in Barcelona and that's always a good thing.

Barcelona was one of my favorite trips thus far. The city has it all! I was excited to be on our "own" in the city. We planned all the sights to see, where to stay, and how to get from point a to point b. It's fulfilling to see hard work prosper. Not that I don't love the trips ISA plans for us, but it was nice to just be Katelyn and me in the city and not 7347879 of us wandering around.

On Friday morning we ventured on a walking tour recommended by our hostel (The Yellow Nest ROCKS!). This was by far my favorite part of the weekend. We walked through the old Gothic quarter of the city and saw the art school Picasso attended, historical sights during the Guerra Civil, and other places I would know nothing about if our guide hadn't told me. I love knowing the histories behind places. Bliss.

La Sagrada Famila

Mmm oranges at the market
Next, March 25-26 (Friday and yesterday) was Córdoba and Granada. Córdoba was a little bit of a blur for me because of some woman issues (yes, it's that time of the month), but beautiful nonetheless! We were only in Córdoba for a matter of hours, but it was great!

Flowers in Córdoba
Granada was beautiful as well. We went to a flamenco show Friday night, which was an awesome experience! Flamenco is so darn passionate. After our flamenco show we were free birds! My amigas and I went out and got some drinks because in Granada when you get a drink, you get a FREE tapa. Yes, it's true, the best things in life are free. We also indulged and got kabobs. Oh my yum. I got a kabob with lamb and beef. It was heaven.

On Saturday, ISA set us up with a 2 1/2 hour guided tour through the Alhambra. The Alhambra is a palace and fortress constructed during the 14th century by the Moors. "Alhambra" is literally translated to "red" in Arabic because of the redish color bricks. It is breathtaking! Meant to be it's own city with a wall guarding it, it used the technology of the snowy Sierra Nevada to bring fresh water down the mountains and to the city. It still operates this way today. It was peacefully conquered by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella in 1492, so it is preserved beautifully.

When my mom and brother visit this THURSDAY (!!!) we are going back over the weekend for a tour. I'm very excited to go back and visit more of the city.

Workin' it 

La Alhambra

Posing in the hedges
Now that I have caught you up on the past two weekends, I can focus on the present. This week I am anxiously waiting for my mom and brother to arrive on Thursday. I'm so excited to show my mom the city she spent time in college and how much it has changed. For those of you who don't know, my mom spent 9 months in Sevilla when she was in college. It is the reason I wanted to come discover Sevilla myself! We have a packed week and are planning on going to a Betis game, Granada, Cádiz, and celebrating my mom's birthday on Friday! So excited!

Lastly, I am realizing how much time I have left here in Sevilla. Only about 6 weeks left. I still have a trip to Morocco planned and the adventures when Kate's dad and Gpa. I am excited to return home and reflect on my trip, but also a little weary about the return of school and reality... we won't talk about that just yet!

Whew! Well to wrap things up, I have to share that God has been laying growth and patience on my heart lately. He is constantly opening doors for me to test and stretch myself and I am so thankful for these opportunities. I listened to Rob Bell's sermon on Ecclesiastics this morning and it coincided exactly with what Pete and I had a conversation about last night. Before I left, I prayed for clarity in my life and I have continued that prayer here in Sevilla. I see that God is opening doors in my life and bringing me more and more clarity everyday. I never doubt that prayer changes things.

Sorry about the long post, I will be more diligent about posting on a weekly basis.

Besos!

1 comment:

  1. kristina, it is so wonderful to hear what you have been up to. i have been thinking about you and praying for you! so cool that you've been visiting such awesome places! i love the pic of the oranges. i am so proud of you for taking in this experience. :) i love you girl!

    ReplyDelete